the deep, deep thoughts of a gentleman who listens to lots of music, plays lots of music and generally likes lots of music... and might write about it from time to time

Monday, March 07, 2005

Barefoot Weekend

I did not step foot outside once from when I got home from DP practice on Friday night until this morning when I left for work. Kary went out once early Sunday for O.J. & bacon for our egg sandwiches, but apart from that, we didn't even change out of our sleepwear (yes, she went to Welsh Farms in her pajama bottoms & slippers). We had plans to do laundry on Saturday, but we blew them off to do aboslutely nothing. Well, not absolutely nothing. We did order from Dominos. Then on Sunday we were supposed to visit new parents Mark & Jenn, but their baby has been keeping them up and they were far too exhausted for visitiors, so we did nothing. I had a long chat with Mark, catching up and just our usual "wherever-the-conversation-takes-us". I've known Mark for about 15 years now (wow) and there was a time he was working 3 jobs, but I'd never heard him sound so tired as when he left us a message inviting us over to meet little Evelyn Ann. I had to apologize to him for laughing, but if you know Mark, then you'll think it was funny, too. I'm sure he and Jenn will be looking for a break at some point, and we'll be there to meet them for dinner and a movie or whatever it is they'd like to do. They're both wonderful people and good friends. We'd do anything for them, including staying away so they can get some rest. Besides, cancelled plans for the day meant I didn't have to put shoes on. Hell, I didn't even put socks on the whole weekend. Sweet.

One of the things we watched in our seclusion was "To Sir With Love", which neither of us had ever seen (I'd seen parts, but never the whole film from beginning to end). We both quite enjoyed it. We talked about how films have changed from 1967; how simple they were then. Simple, yet not everything needed to be spelled out for the audience. We also watched "Man On Fire", which seemed to be the polar opposite of "To Sir With Love". Quick edits, tons of action, gunfire, explosions, plot twists galore... still had a little heart, though. I liked it, actually, but the difference between the way films were made and the way they're made now... well, it was clearly illustrated watching those 2 over the weekend. We also watched "Hannibal", "The Big Bounce", some Season 4 South Park episodes and FOX Sunday's Simpsons & Arrested Development (2 episodes of each). It was a laaaaaaaazy weekend.

Needless to say, I didn't get around to the things I really should have. Kary & I are putting together wedding invitations for her brother and his bride-to-be, and I was volunteered to do caricatures of them for the front of the invitation (it's a casual affair). I haven't even started (apart from a sketch here or there that went nowhere) and they're gonna have to be sent out soon. I also bartered with a friend a while ago... I got a drum kit out of the deal and he gets a website (and some cash). Well, I've had the kit for a month or so now, and no website. I've actually got some of it done on the hard drive, but none of it's ready to upload yet. I had some ideas for it, but when he finally got around to telling me what he had in mind, it was far removed from my vision and I guess I was a little disappointed. And I really shouldn't be, cuz what he wants is much simpler than what I had planned. I have no excuses for procrastinating on either of these resonsibilities, apart from just not feeling inspired. I need to buckle down and focus. Just get the shit done. I know I'll feel better once they're out of the way. What I don't know is why I always put these things off. It's a tough habit to break.

Like allowing distractions like this to keep me from working... something I'm actually getting paid for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home