the deep, deep thoughts of a gentleman who listens to lots of music, plays lots of music and generally likes lots of music... and might write about it from time to time

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

"You are human! Go forth! Go forth and thrash!"

It's strange to me that I don't have my own, but I borrowed a VHS copy of the shamefully unreleased-on-DVD 1991 - The Year Punk Broke from my brother-in-law. I must have been fairly destitute around the time it came out and just never bothered to get it. Anyway, I'm in the process of digitizing it, which really just amounts to running the tape in real time while I record it to a standalone DVD recorder. That would be good enough for most people, but not me. I'll rip the audio and video to my laptop, divide it into chapters and make a pretty menu. If anyone I know wants a copy I'll happily burn it for them, but I don't expect a whole lot of requests (if any). I'm even considering remastering the audio cuz, according to director Dave Markey's site, it doesn't look like it's gonna be coming out anytime soon (check out the list of extras he's prepared for it).

I was talking to my wife last night about it, but I still can't get a grip on why I liked the music of that time period so much. I was already in my 20s when I first heard Soundgarden on WNYU in 1988, promoting their FOPP EP, which I promptly purchased the next day. That led to my love of Green River, Mudhoney, The Fluid, Tad and in 1989 I anxiously awaited the release of Nirvana's Bleach, having been completely enthralled by their song "Spank Thru" on the Sub Pop 200 compilation. I guess my point is that it wasn't teenage rebellion that drew me to the aggression that fueled the origins of grunge. Something about it all spoke to me, though, and to this day I've yet to experience the same connection that music gave me... and believe me, I still look.

1 Comments:

Anonymous daphne said...

I'll never EVER forget the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I was 20 years old and driving my Mazda RX7 (already ten years old at the time and very weathered, but still cool) home from community college & it came on the radio. It was still playing when I got home and I RACED inside my apartment and screamed to my then-roommate, Derek, "TURN ON THE RADIO! TURN ON THE ******* RADIO NOW!!!!"

So he did. And we sat there with our collective jaws hanging open.

The times, they were a-changing.

And I think it was precisely *because* we were in our '20s and not our teens that the Seattle sound (and its closely-related kin) hit us so hard. Because, if you think about it...your teens are confusing, but your '20s are downright terrifying.

5/05/2010 7:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home