the deep, deep thoughts of a gentleman who listens to lots of music, plays lots of music and generally likes lots of music... and might write about it from time to time

Monday, June 28, 2010

She asked me why the singer's name was "Alice"

As has happened more often than not, Main Man Records is planning a tribute to an artist I know little about, and as is also often the case, I will be appearing on it numerous times.

I was never much of an Alice Cooper fan. I will cop to digging Welcome To My Nightmare in my teens, but that played more into my KISS obsession than anything else (it was produced by Bob Ezrin, who went on to produce Destroyer for KISS the following year). I like the theatricality of the record and it told a story (sort of) which also appealed to me (and laid the groundwork for my progressive rock phase 7 years later). Apart from that album, though, I never cared for Alice's songs... at least the ones I'd heard on the radio. Turns out his hits weren't necessarily his best songs (I shouldn't be surprised, as I've come to learn singles are written to be popular and album tracks reflect an artist's true creativity). I've also learned that before Welcome To My Nightmare Alice Cooper was a band.

So with the announcement of the album tribute to Alice Cooper's 4th record, Killer, came requests for my services. First up was Frankenstein 3000 (being a full fledged member basically guaranteed my involvement) and we're doing "Desperado". I've already recorded drums for Johny Dey's version of "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"; I will be playing drums for Mike Spank's take on "Muscle Of Love" and Gin House Bandits (which I am also a member of) will be tackling "Teenage Lament '74", both of which can be found on Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits, which will also be covered in full. I had never heard any of those songs before I knew I had to learn them and I already prefer them all to any of Alice Cooper's popular songs.

None of Alice's solo albums will get the tribute treatment, which is maybe just as well. I may have never been exposed to the Alice Cooper band's music otherwise and that would have been a shame... kinda like how I never thought I liked mustard until I tried it recently. I wish mustard and I had gotten better acquainted years ago.

Now I want a turkey sandwich on multi-grain bread with wasabi mustard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home