the deep, deep thoughts of a gentleman who listens to lots of music, plays lots of music and generally likes lots of music... and might write about it from time to time

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The Happiest Days Of Our Lives

In September of 1978 I started 8th grade in a new town. My parents had split up the previous year and my mom and I could not afford to live in the house we shared as a family, so we were forced to move. I had been in the same house in the same school district since 2nd grade and the summer after 7th we quietly left it all behind. 5 years was the longest we'd lived anywhere (it would hold that record for me until 2005) and it was hard to start over at 13 without a single friend.

Not much changed that first year. My sense of humor and penchant for doodling caricatures impressed a couple kids, but apart from that I had a lot of trouble fitting in.

In December of 1979, 3 months into 9th grade, I found solace in Pink Floyd's The Wall. The advance single, "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" had been played on the radio for weeks and I eagerly awaited the complete album. I was completely drawn into it's story of isolation and related to the character's relationship with his mother (I didn't lose my father but I certainly felt "left" by him). A few months later Pink Floyd performed The Wall over 5 nights at Nassau Coliseum. I wasn't able to go, but did score a bootleg concert jersey (complete with black 3/4 sleeves). I read a review of the show so I was prepared whenever I wore the shirt if anyone asked how the show was (I'd pepper my recollection with details only someone who'd been there (or read a review) would know). It was just one of the many ways I attempted to fit in, and it was also one of the most successful.

It didn't last, though, my manufactured "cool". As with anything that gets too popular, there was a backlash against The Wall and wearing the jersey no longer elicited the knowing nods in the hall. Still, by then I had established some friendships (one that actually lasts to this day) and didn't need covert tactics like that anymore.

I never expected it to happen, and I had to wait 30 years, but The Wall is being performed live again; albeit just by Roger Waters, but if his In The Flesh tour is any indication it's gonna be a top-notch show. I got caught up in the presale hooplah, joining the email list to be notified when tickets went on sale. A pair were purchased 8 weeks ago and only today was I notified where my seats are: a little more than halfway around the arena, second row, one section up, the first 2 seats. Pretty much exactly where I'd hoped they'd be; a perfect view of the whole show.

Unfortunately there's no one left to impress.

I'm still gonna get a jersey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home